Independent Study in Biomedical Data Science
Project templates available in bioinformatics, cheminformatics, systems biology and other areas.
Offered in Spring 2024 as BIOM505 (Special Topics in Biomedical Sciences) (Section 015, “Ind Study Biomed Data Sci”, CRN 57832)
- Preliminary research plan instructor approval
- Project advisor (may be faculty, staff, or external)
- Coursework in biology, chemistry, computer science, etc. as needed
Project areas and ideas
- Drug discovery
- Clinical informatics
- Public health
- Machine learning
- Natural language processing
- Data visualization
- Software development
- …and many others!
This independent study course involves designing, executing, and presenting a research project, reflecting the focus on independent research appropriate for graduate studies.
- 1-3 credits, depending on project scope.
- The student must submit a research plan subject to instructor approval prior to registration.
- The student will execute the research project independently, with limited supervision.
- Major deliverables:
- Final Report
- Virtual poster presentation
- Participation via online forum
Instructor: Jeremy Yang, PhD, Research Associate Professor, Translational Informatics Division
Lead Advisor: Vincent Metzger, PhD, Post-doctoral Fellow, Translational Informatics Division
Course Administrator: Tonya Morgan, Unit Administrator 3 , Translational Informatics Division
For project ideas, templates, examples, and help finding a project advisor, visit our course home page at https://datascience.unm.edu/isbdscourse/ or contact email@example.com